TVS has well designed and safe outdoor facilities for less intensive cases and for wet and dry mares for reproductive procedures.
Tableland Veterinary Service is a mixed equine practice and we examine and treat horses from thoroughbreds to polo cross horses to miniature horses. We perform all services associated with these including the following:
- Lameness evaluations – many difficult lameness cases have overlapping and complicated reasons for their problems and can limit performance. Our veterinarians can perform thorough lameness work ups, from flexion and palpation to diagnostic nerve and joint blocks, through to ultrasound of tendons and digital radiology.
- Poor performance evaluations – lameness examinations, video endoscopy, ultrasound, in house blood testing, nutritional advice.
- Dentistry – routine performance floats, bit seating and routine geriatric dental care through to teeth removal and surgery if required. Tableland Veterinary Service does approximately 500-700 routine dental examinations and performance floats per year. Only a veterinarian can legally sedate and remove teeth in Queensland (and in most places in Australia) and only a veterinarian can perform diagnostic dental radiology to confirm problems or identify teeth for removal.
- Medical care for acutely sick or chronically unwell horses – from diagnostic imaging (ultrasound / digital radiology), in house blood testing, nutritional and worming advice and full hospital service including intensive care.
- Surgery – Doctors Frank Condon and Mick Ruppin have both completed their membership in Equine Surgery and perform a large range of equine surgery. This ranges from emergency abdominal surgery (colic surgery) through to ophthalmic (eye), orthopaedic and soft tissue surgery, castrations and rig surgery, ovariectomies, and bladder surgeries.
- Pre-purchase examinations – all our veterinarians use a standardized protocol recommended by Equine Veterinarians Australia.
- Reproduction – TVS performs about 50-70 artificial inseminations per year with both frozen and chilled semen. Stallions are also semen-collected and semen processed and chilled for shipping to other areas. Dr Mick Ruppin and John Hosie are also offering embryo services.
- Ambulatory Service – TVS offers a full ambulatory service and travels over the Atherton Tablelands as well as servicing its clients from Cardwell to Weipa and west to the Gulf of Carpentaria. We have a mobile crush for performing dentistry and other procedures.